« Another use of the uncanny? | Main | Some of You Might Want to Tape My Mouth Shut After You Read This »

March 20, 2007

The Ultimate Question

Murfin and Ray, Bedford Glossary of Critical and Literary Terms -- Jerz EL312 (Literary Criticism)

"Eschatology: Concern with the "ultimate" questions, last things - that is, what happens after humans die, or the end of the world and life as we know it. Christian eschatology includes such concepts as heaven and hell..." (143).

While I wouldn't consider this weeks readings to really be eschatological works, I thought this term was somewhat relevant since there is that section of "The Uncanny" in which Freud talks about not really knowing is death is unavoidable or if we have, in fact, just not figured out how to avoid it. He talks about how the spirit living on after physical death is one way governments "maintain moral order" and how religion plays the largest role in answering these "ultimate" questions. (In case you don't remember this part in Freud's essay it begins on page 395 I believe.) Anyway, I hope someone at least found this interesting.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at March 20, 2007 2:00 AM