« Desmond Gives Grandmother too Much Credit | Main | A Late Encounter With the Enemy - Sally's Nostalgia »

March 29, 2007

Yeah it is Weird, But I Like It

Berger, Postmortem for a Postmodernist -- Jerz EL312 (Literary Criticism)

A lot of you seem to be enjoying this reading very little. I have to say though, that I actually do quite like it. Sure, as Vanessa said in her blog, the story really doesn’t have great literary value, but I still have to give the guy props for trying. I mean, who else would try to use a novel to explain a concept which, I think most of us who tried to understand Derrida's essay know, is incredibly difficult to grasp. So I am finding this novel to be, refreshing, entertaining, and full of good information about postmodernism that I really had trouble getting out of the critical texts - no matter how awkwardly the information might be given (because what kind of woman rants on about postmodernism of all things when her husband was just murdered?! I think she did it! But, I admit I am far from done reading it at this point.)

"think of the way young children use remote-control devices to cruise the various television networks, creating their own programs out of bits and pieces of the programs they watch, making a postmodern media pastiche. In a modern society, on the other hand, such as you Americans had in the 1950s or so, people would watch a program - such as a sitcom like I Love Lucy - from beginning to end" (26).

I think this is a fascinating analogy and a much more fun way of differentiating the two theories [modernism and postmodernism] without reading one of those stuffy, contradictory "the-center-is-not-the-center" essays that give us a headache.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at March 29, 2007 1:11 AM

I also enjoyed this book as well.
I mean I didn't really get any concept of postmodernism out of it, but the overall story was interesting.

The only part of the novel where I actually learned something about this specific criticism was on pages 24-26 where the wife is explaining this theory to the detective which in a way makes it seem that she is trying to cover up some story of the murder by sounding intelligent and having the detective be brought off track of the real problem at hand.

Posted by: Denamarie at March 29, 2007 12:52 PM