« YAY! Something I KNOW I Will Use | Main | Why Can't We Be Speaking Good English? »

April 20, 2007

Not only Smart, But Wise

Card, Ender's Game Ch 1-6 -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"Thank you for this Peter. For dry eyes and silent weeping. You taught me how to hide anything I felt. More than ever, I need that now" (33).

This novel is already so engaging and we have only read about the first 50 pages. It interests me how Ender, a boy of only six, not only has the brains of a genius, the ability to be smarter than people ten times his age, but also to be wiser than a lot of those same people. That is what makes him different than a lot of the other boys I think. This statement above shows his wisdom because he sees how something has helped him, even though that something wasn't very pleasent. And yet, it worries me, because he is being so easily dehumanized in order to prepare him for war. And while I see the advantages of that...I think that the human factor is what you really need to win a war. Of course, maybe that isn't the case in a war against aliens?

Posted by LorinSchumacher at April 20, 2007 10:37 AM

I like how you differentiate "smart" and "wise." While the difference between these two terms is often overlooked, it is absolutely true that a person can be smart and not wise or vice versa. For example, so many times I have encountered a person who has the brains of a genius but no ambition whatsoever to use this gift. Thus, this person lacks wisdom. On the other hand, you can find wisdom in the most unlikeliest of people. A person does not have to be a genius in order to be wise. While being smart is useful, being wise enables a person to use such a gift successfully within the society he is placed in.

Posted by: Ellen Einsporn at May 7, 2007 9:52 AM