Barbie: She looks like a vampire, screams like a gull, and tromps like a Marine!

"And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare as any she belied with false compare." (Shakespeare, Sonnet CXXX)

You shouldn't love someone despite their faults, you should love them because of said faults. Being able to forgive a good many shortcomings is certainly helpful, but if you don't find them at times endearing in your partner, then why stay with 'em? In this sonnet Shakespeare lists all the things that his lady is not. She's not as radiant as the sun, her lips are extremely pale, she's got a tan, and she sounds like a twisted barbie doll when he writes that she has wires coming out of her head! There's nothing like listening to nails on a chalkboard though when Shakespeare writes, "I love to hear her speak, yet will I know that music hath a far more pleasing sound." Wonder what it was like when she nagged him. However, despite all of these failures/shortcomings on his lady's part, Shakespeare still loves her as he writes, "And yet, by heaven I think my love as rare as any she belied with false compare." Maybe he liked her tromping around, pale facade, and raspy voice. It's not like everyone had a daily bath back then!

Attention! Attention! Make sure to keep your arms and feet inside the car at all times. All those returning to Wally World, click Here.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Barbie: She looks like a vampire, screams like a gull, and tromps like a Marine!.

"You shouldn't love someone despite their faults, you should love them because of said faults." I completely agree with you. Perfection is annoying. It would be awful to be with someone who was 100% happy and beautiful all the time. If his mistress was not as unique as she was, perhaps Shakespeare would have never even written a sonnet about her. The fact that she is unique is important to Shakespeare, so important that she has a whole poem dedicated to her.

Good point, Maddie! I love your line, “You shouldn’t love someone despite their faults, you should love them because of said faults.” That is so true too, if you can’t love the imperfections of your significant partner, who do you intend to spend a life with them? However, I am not sure Shakespeare has quite the right attitude. I get the feeling that he loves her in spite of her fault, and not because of them. Would he be making lists of them, if he liked them?