It's like posting a thought that everyone can see, complete with visuals!

"Analogy: a comparison of a subject to something that is similar to it in order to clarify the subject's nature, purpose, or function." (Hamilton, pg. 76)

"Imagery: a widely used term that has several distinctive meanings. All, however, refer to the CONCRETE, rather than the ABSTRACT, aspects of a literary work. In a narrow sense, imagery means a visual description of an object or a scene-an image or picture of it, especially one that is particularly detailed and vivid." (Hamilton, pg. 83)

Analogies can be funny as well as serious, but one genuine fact remains...they're ultimately supposed to make ya learn somthin'. That's right everyone, you're missing the point if you just laugh at something funny when you don't understand it. The beautiful thing about analogies is that it's relatively easy to immerse an analogy in imagery. After all, you're expected to gain new information from the analogy that was previously incomprehensible to you beforehand. The use of imagery can help you to envision a more detailed picture in your mind of the situation, assignment, etc. I have to say though, some people really do have brains that are just plain wired differently. You'll never believe some of the analogies I sound while surfing the net, and all too many of them utilize imagery to put a laughing stitch in your side! I entirely encourage you to go and check out some of these wacky writings at WritingEnglish.WordPress.com! This list only goes to show that our English teachers really do have immense amounts of fun at our expense and this is one of the places where they've gathered the 25 funniest, wackiest analogies! I've listed some of my new found favorites below:

• "She grew on him like she was a colony of E. Coli, and he was room-temperature Canadian beef."
  • "The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn’t."
  • "McBride fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty bag filled with vegetable soup."
  • "He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant, and she was the East River."
  • "The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating for a while."
  • "He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if she were a garbage truck backing up."

For all of you who'd like to return to the ship now, please step up on the transporter and repeat after me: Beam Me Up Scotty!

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: It's like posting a thought that everyone can see, complete with visuals!.

Kaitlin Monier said:

Haha, those are defiantly interesting analogies. I have always thought that analogies were nearly always taken seriously, but I defiantly like the ones that aren't. They are unique and would spice up any story.

Hahaha. Your blog entries are always so funny. The minute you starting listing those comical analogies, I thought of Larry the Cable Guy. Is that bad? The fact that I did not think of some great literary figure when it came to analogies but instead a Blue Collar comedian? Well anyway, I would post one on here but they are usually pretty mean...ah, what the hell. He said it, not me, but I'll edit it to be nice though.

"That's more frustrating than a *starving person* watching a doughnut roll down the hill."

Jessie Farine said:

Those analogies that you found are pretty effective, albeit a little odd. I would choose an analogy featuring E. Coli and beef over Romeo and Juliet or such to describe a kindling love any day.

I think the odd ones are the most effective; you'll remember them much longer.