My Fair Lady - Welshman Style!

Ford: "I will never mistrust my wife again, till thou art able to woo her in good English." (MWW, pg. 103)

Marriage is built on a foundation of many traits, but without trust, its only a matter of time before it all comes toppling down. Master Ford had been so convinced of his wife's adultery or weakness concerning Falstaff, that he sought to catch her in the act by dressing as another suitor! However, Mistresses Ford and Page wanted to teach Falstaff a lesson, while still maintaining their honor. The comment above was said to Evans, the Welshman who carves up the English language like a bloody, inexperienced apprentice to a butcher. He's lucky anyone can understand the gist of what he's trying to say the first time around! It's unlikely that he'll ever truly lose his heavy accent, despite the fact that he's the school teacher, because no one will take the time to correct his every sentence. Nobody would dare do that either now that Ford's promised to trust his lady for a goodly while. This might just mean that Ford's notorious jealousy will take a much needed vacation! Trust is the builder of foundations for marriages as well as families. This is represented by the Page family in how Page and Mistress Page never trusted Anne enough to ask her who she wanted to marry. Without trust, everything stops. After all, we trust that the sun will rise again in the East tomorrow and that we will go on living, but the latter could change at any point. Oh well, how gullible can we be?!

Now, if you would all direct your mice points here, we can start the test...I mean the return trip home! Yeah! Riiiiiiiight THERE. *Insert maniacal laugh here*

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: My Fair Lady - Welshman Style!.

Very interesting comment Maddie. What bothered me was after he said this, he continued to search for Falstaff. Ford is a real man of his word!

Sometimes you worry me friend.lol Anyway I like your ideas in this blog - and the being gullible business is so true its kind of scary.

(ps, I want a cookie now)

Kaitlin Monier said:

Trust is important for any relationship, including marriage. It does not seem like anyone really trusts anyone else in this play. The families and relationships are all corrupt, but that makes it amusing.

Maddie, I like your trepidation to believe Mr. Ford that he is going to trust Mrs. Ford from now on. I feel the same way.

I also find your commentary on Sir Hugh Evans to be interesting. I’d like to share a quote with you which intrigued me:
“Evans: Where’s Bead? Go you, and where you find a maid
That ere she sleep has thrice her prayers said,
Raise up the organs of her fantasy,
Sleep she as sound as careless infancy.
But those as sleep and think not on their sins,
Pinch them, arms, legs, backs, shoulders, sides, and shins” (Shakespeare MWW, V.v.lines 49-55).

Is it just me, or does when Evans play the part of a fairy he loses his speech impediment? What does that mean? Did Shakespeare just forget to make him speak ridiculously? Was Evans trying hard to disguise himself, so that Falstaff did not recognize him? But in that case, he can talk normally, and is choosing to speak English wrong. In which case…Mr. Ford will soon be doubting Mrs. Ford…

Tiffany Gilbert said:

You know...I was so up for a cookie
and you like destroyed my appetite
Thanks...I thought I could TRUST you because you're all about trust in the Merry Wives of Windsor.
Since trust is obviously an issue, we anticipate it and wonder what is going to happen next. Is the trust going to strengthen between Mr. and Mrs. Ford or will it fall apart?

Tiffany Gilbert said:

You know...I was so up for a cookie
and you like destroyed my appetite

Erica Gearhart said:

I love all the comments on trust. They are all so true! Greta, I did not notice this section in the book where he lost his accent. This is too weird! Quite a few of his lines go on like this. Great observation.

Deana Kubat said:

we were actually talking about this tonight.....haha i totally agree though. he better now learn to start speaking properly any time soon or else he'll be eating his words almost literally....