Color Coded Bunny Fishers

"'If you become a fish in a trout stream,' said his mother, 'I will become a fisherman and I will fish for you.'
'If you become a bird and fly away from me,' said his mother, 'I will be a tree that you come home to.
'Shucks,' said the little bunny, 'I might just as well stay where I am and be your little bunny.'" (W;t, pg. 80)

"SUSIE: She's DNR!

JASON: She's Research!" (W;t, pg. 82)

I simply have to write that I loved the children's story of The Runaway Bunny. Not only did it make me smile, but it caught my heart as well. A truly loving mother would say all of those things to her little one and Evelyn made a similar analogy between God and Man. So, you can run anywhere you want, but you'll never escape your mother a.k.a. God. I also thought that the story could be interpreted as someone trying to run away from Death. It's like saying that you can run till the end of your days and it will still always find you, no matter where you hide. Sometimes there comes a point when it's easier to drift off and let go than to hold on. Evelyn says to Vivian as she leaves, "And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest." This came as a big tip off to me; Vivian was going to be meeting those angels first hand very soon.

Vivian fought tooth and nail to beat her cancer, volunteering herself as a research subject in the hopes that she might just pull through and beat the cancer. It simply wasn't meant to be. Though that's not to say that the moral of the play simply ends with Vivian's death. Jason only saw Vivian as a research subject, a lab rat. His only interest in her was attempting to cure her cancer with this new experimental treatment. In essence, he never actually saw Vivian, he only saw her cancer, never the woman that it was slowly breaking down inside. The second quote shows that it was Donne-ignorant Susie who cared the most about Vivian. Susie cared enough to stand up to both Jason and the Code Team when they tried to resuscitate Vivian. She attempted to do her best by her patient, something I think Jason could stand to learn from those he thinks are beneath him.

Sometimes there's nothing to be done but simply let go...
dnr4.jpg

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Color Coded Bunny Fishers.

The reading of The Runaway Bunny really touched me as well. It conjures up memories from childhood. Here is Vivian, alone and dying and her professor comes back and reads her a children’s story. In the end, Vivian does not want to hear Donne’s poems recited, it is a simply story of love. Donne’s work so full of questions that never are answered serve as no comfort for Vivian. I did not pick up on the analogy between the mother bunny or as Death, but that is a really good point Maddie, I think both make sense and are appropriate. It was peace that Vivian needed which Susie and The Runaway Bunny gave her, not resuscitation for a continued struggle.