You go here, I go there, We go everywhere!

"A crime is not a thing that you can hold in your hand and turn over and peer at like a dead bug. A crime is not something that you can freeze in time. A crime is not something that means only one thing or happens in only one way." ~ The Heist by Walter Sorrells

I can only write that I love this insightful quote to no end! When I first read it, I thought of a little kid who's been caught with his hand in the cookie jar and he's trying to squirm his way out of his mother scolding him. He's going to tell the story one way, the kid's little sister is going to tell it another way, and Rufus, the dog, is going to be barking about how he didn't get a piece of the cookie!

So ya see, everyone has their own twist on a story and that is exemplified in The Heist. Sorrells enables the reader to get the main story in installments of sorts; but the reader can also click on hyperlinks that take them to webpages that further explain the characters. I have to say that this was quite ingenius of him.

However, I must write that though I like the story itself pretty well, I didn't like the fact that it was linked to so many pages. I like to know the characters of a story as best as I possibly can so, having to flip-flop between pages like that just drives me up the wall. Perhaps I simply have a sentimental attachment to books. What can I say?

Unfortunately, all good tales (and bad ones, thank goodness!) must come to an end. But the best thing about them is that they continue on your mind. All you need is a little spark for your imagination to start a wildfire. And if you've ever wondered where wildfires spring and thrive, just check out Fanfiction.net. You're guaranteed to have a toasty good time.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: You go here, I go there, We go everywhere!.

Jackie Johns said:

Maddie, I like your cookie jar example! I'd listen to Rufus...you can always trust the dog! :)

But as for the story, I shared your sense of frustration with the links and the back-and-forth nature of the hypertext novel. In my own blog, these feelings lead me to truly appreciate the way so many aspects weave together to make the traditional novel. I guess it proves that studying things we might not enjoy can still teach us something!

My blog:
http://blogs.setonhill.edu/JacquelynJohns/2008/09/i_dont_knowmaybe.html

Jed Fetterman said:

I did not like the fact that the links did not circle back on themselves. It just does not seem right that if you click on one link, you may miss a vital piece of the story. Then you must go through a twisting maze of the back button, and rereading the story to figure out where you left off. I like to get the whole picture when I read a story, not just one sliver of it.

Anne Williams said:

Maddie I also agree with your take on this story and I'm glad to see someone else does. I hated flip-floping back and forth with this and definitley got frustrated. I did not really have any connection with the quote at the beginning but I realized after I was done that is does have some significance because I went back and read it again.