The Lost Boys are both lucky and cursed in Never Never Land

Note: The responses below are based off of Caroline E. White's "The University of Yellow Wallpaper."

Personal Thoughts:

When I first began reading through this text, I thought to myself that I had quite come across one of those individuals who use even bigger words than myself. And guess what, I was totally and completely right! I actually reveled in the fact that I had to look up a few words in my trusty Mac dictionary widget.

I must write though that the sudden jumping from topic to topic tended to catch me by surprise after I believed myself to already be acclimated to online reading. You learn something new everyday and today was no different than any other. Strange to wonder what one might come across tomorrow!

Close Reading:

"...you used to say to me that I am a great young girl, and though you left me here to perish, though you put beneath my feet a great howling pit of emptiness, the words that lie at the bottom of my soul leap forth and they light the shadows below me; I am the one who was lost in the crowd, whom the fizzing lights made dizzy, a subaltern who saw everything about her reduced to absurdity, for if I were truly a great young girl the specters would cease bellowing; I was a young child with a body and soul, I had a heart that was not protected by a steel vault, and when I had moments of ecstasy I would sing with burning sparks; for I sang of the Gnomes, their purple-feathered legs that would dance on the plums...but nobody heard...when my eyes turned to grief, sorrow spreading inward, flattening my nose against my spine, tongues pounding in my heart, blood turning to drool, and soon the weight of my sinking flooded my ears..."

White utilizes such graphic words in this passage alone that it enables the reader to perfectly see within the mind the happenings; combined with the long, seemingly unending sentence structure, and you have the memory of a child who didn't want to grow up, but inevitably had to.

White displays in this excerpt the age old dilemma of a child facing the great troubles of adulthood and the adult that still wished the inner child time to play. The continuing sentences, though correct, reflect both the continuity of time as well as the child-like desire to pour something out that either excites or sorrows in one mad long rush.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: The Lost Boys are both lucky and cursed in Never Never Land.

Daniella Choynowski said:

The university was a little more difficult to follow than The Body, but the two are completely different. That would be like comparing oranges to the color purple. Both should be appreciated differently.

If the text was about a girl who had to grow up too quickly, we can certainly see that it was tramatic. My interpretation was that she was readings a copy of the yellow wallpaper in an insane asylum. The text was so confusing that it drove her even madder as she began to recall childhood memories. The links about hypertext were interspersed to remind us of the parallels of twisting and turning in the texts.

Jackie Johns said:

Maddie, I like your idea that White's sentence structure actually reflects the flow of time itself. In this way, what some would probably see as overly complex and long-winded is actually perfectly appropriate. How else could someone attempt to articulate time if not through intricate, complex language and sentence structure.