Technology leaps and news follows

"Other stories about blogging point to the same conclusion: blogs create news, and news can take the form of a textual reality that trumps the reality under our noses."pg. 24 of Robert Darnton's The Case for Books.

Although blogs might seem commonplace in today's realm of technology, they have developed into a significant news resource. A prime example lies in the blog-broken controversy surrounding Apple's developing iPhone G4 prototype that was found and then sold to Wired where bloggers became the prime source of breaking news on the leaked Apple technology.

Evolving events saw police searching and seizing Apple's technology (I'm grossly understating and fast forwarding events), but inevitably opened up the can of worms around the question "Are bloggers protected by journalistic rights?" After this recent tale of blogger vs. the legal system, I thought that Darnton's quote above was fitting. In this case a blogger made the news even as bloggers broke news before "traditional" journalists.

This brings me to another quote of Darnton's written later on, on page 61: "In short, the traditional media have no greater claim than the electronic media to master the past." Even as news is made and distributed to the public, it becomes old news the moment it's out there. Every form of news technology attempts to master the past news information, whether that information comes on printed paper or from a computer screen is the difference.

There's no set answer for what new precepts will be set as a result of this Apple-blogger-journalist fiasco, and I'm not entirely sure myself of which side of the "fence" I'm on myself. However, I believe that whatever the result may be, it will change the blogger and journalism worlds distinctly.

Go on and take a look at what my peers had to say on this issue.