Wrapping up with Scratch

| No Comments

With the close of my class's unit on the program Scratch, I can safely write that I've enhanced my abilities to develop a code from nothing (and actually having it work) as well as my own limitations when attempting to make a home-grown code.

It would be incorrect to say that I learned my slight ability to code using Scratch from any one source because I learned the basics of Pong from several projects. The first and least complicated game that I learned was Pong by SampleProjectsTeam. Another project that provided me a basis for my code was Pong 4.0 by jamie. These two games gave me the most instruction for beginning my code.

As of right now, my attempt at making a Batman Pong game does have an opening screen that features instructions. However, the code that drives this screen is currently not working in sync with the rest of the game.

The first level of my game is pretty simple. The Batman logo is proportionate to the manhole cover that acts as the bar for the Batman logo to bounce off of. There are 6 icons featuring the pictures of either Batman's enemies or allies. When the player knocks the Batman logo into one of these pictures, they become hidden.

After all of the icons are hidden, the player advances to the next level. The second level features a significantly smaller Batman logo that also moves faster than it did on level 1. Level 3 challenges the player to finally win the game by keeping track of the Batman logo that now only shows itself intermittently because of the ghost effect. At the moment I am having trouble linking level 3 to level 2, but I figure I just need to calmly sit down and look at the code. Nevertheless, each successive level increases in difficulty by adding a time limit for the icons to be hit in order to progress to the next level.

However, as an added incentive to play my game, I have included a Win screen for players once they follow through the game. And I have also included a Lose screen that displays the Joker standing over a defeated Batman, thus enticing the player to play again in order to re-capture all of Batman's enemies and return them to Arkham Asylum. As of yet, I still need to figure out the correct coding for making a credits screen so as to give credit for the Gotham City-scapes that are the stage backgrounds for my game levels.

Even though I have not completely finished my pong game, I was able to conduct a usability report. Three individuals tested my game and provided significant feedback. The first problem that my testers encountered was that I needed an opening screen with instructions. Another facet of the game that my testers pointed out was that the game was not challenging enough, other than the game being entirely based on chance. This prompted me to then to increase the speed at which the Batman logo hurtled across the screen and in level 3, when the logo became semi-transparent. Although these were the two main points to improve (and I am currently in the process of doing that), there were some small glitches that appeared in my game while my testers played it. These were annoying to be sure, but easily fixed when I restarted the game or exited the program.

I've included below some screen captions of each level and background change of my game. But you should zip over to my classmates' blogs to read about what cool games they designed and how their usability reports gave them ideas on how to improve their games.

Level 1:

Level 1.tif

Level 2:

Level 2.tif

Level 3:

Level 3.tif

Win screen:

Win.tif

Lose screen:

Lose.tif

Leave a comment

WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux