« Did Melville Expect more from Readers? | Main | Gullible and Simple-Minded »

Whose Speaking?

Narrator: "is the one who tells the story. His or her identity differs from that of the author, because the narrator is always in some sense the author's invention, one of the devices that he or she is using to shape the narrative. The narrator often differs from the author in age, gender, outlook, or cicumstances." (Hamilton 112)

I chose the term "narrator" because it was discussed in our essays this week, especially in O'Connells. And it still doesn't cease to amaze me that there are those who constantly want to combine the narrator and the author. These are two different entities and should be treated as such. For example,just because the narrator of a story is gender biased does not mean that the author is.

Katie Vann:

This was a good idea to look this up Mara. Even though we all know what a narrator is, I think it was important especially after reading O'Connell's essay to remind ourselves that the narrator and the author aren't always the same.

Greta Carroll:

Really good point, Mara! People always are confusing the narrator and the author. People do that with poetry too, they confuse the speaker and the author. I’m glad you’re setting the record straight to hopefully help people clear that little confusion up. I would imagine that would annoy you especially since you are a creative writer. I’m sure when you write a story; you don’t want me to attribute your narrator’s thoughts and desires to you. So I think it’s important for people to keep that in mind.

james lohr:

It is amazing that such a confusion between author and narrator exists. The narrator is a tool the author uses to help tell the story, why would the two of them necessarily have to be linked other than by imagination?

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on February 23, 2009 11:00 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Did Melville Expect more from Readers?.

The next post in this blog is Gullible and Simple-Minded.