Pod 1 Winkle and Wife

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow was written by Irving as well as Rip Van Winkle.  Irving was a full time writer and made a living from this.  First American recognized in Europe for his writing.  Irving wrote Rip Van Winkle while living in Europe.  Irving was also a lawyer. After hearing all this information on Irving the opinion that I have about him is that he must have been very creative and imaginative because his life does not seem like it would fill into a life living with a family of lawyers.  He seemed to have such an influence on not only America but Europe and back in the days when he lived this was rare. 

I started to thinking about The Wife and wondered if it was based on a real life happening. With all the travels and social networking that Irving was subjected to I wonder if this really didn't happen.

I was impressed with Washington Irving's background. The fact that he was able to make a living off of only his writing, while authors such as Hawthorne had second jobs says something about his influence in both America and Europe. It's also interesting that such a complex man would create a character such as Rip because Rip is so simple.

Mary Jane you raised a good question. The thought had not crossed my mind that this could have very well been based on an encounter of Irving himself even though the situation in the story is so true to life itself. I wonder, did it really happen?

I could definitely see this being true. This is purely opinion but I could see men during this time objectifying women and thinking that they were not capable of any feelings other than greed or selfishness. Or was it just that he didn't want her to worry? I hope so but I also hope that men start putting faith in their women.