Cattle Disco

How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C Foster Chapters 11 & 25

Chapter 11 spoke of violence in literature and that there are two categories.  The first being the violence that the characters do to each other and the second the violent acts that they do to themselves. 

In one part of the reading it talks about the author Lawrence and how his characters manage to commit violence against each other.  Lawrence writes that after a woman see a man bloodying a horse and that Gudrun, a woman that see this act, is turned on by it! Then “he later sees her engaging in eurythmics-a pre-Great War version of disco- in front of some highly dangerous Highland Cattle” (Foster 138).  I about fell over laughing at this part!

This chapter was trying to show why authors include violence and how it is necessary in literature which I totally understand but to think that Lawrence wrote about exotic dancing for cattle is beyond me!

The scene certainly suggests a primal, animalistic response. The animal world is full of purposeful violence, but only humans seem capable of choosing violence, or enjoying it.

I wrote about the violence in chapter 11 as well. I like that you focused on violence between others and more importantly violence one does to oneself.

Theresa and I were talking about some Foster's selections in class. We were both really jealous of how well read he is.

I always want to read anything I'm told I shouldn't!!