The Changing Wallpaper

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

As I read this story I took the words for what they were, I believed that she was just depressed and her husband, the doctor, was taking her away so that she could regain composure and be well again.  As I think back to the fixation on the patterns of the yellow wallpaper and how she believed that they changed it makes me change my mind to the fact that this lady has to be in a mental hospital.  She thinks the doctor is her husband, the nurse is his sister and she stops writing when they are around.  They discourage her from her writing. 

She is allowed to walk outside, look out the window and thinks that she has a baby.  She mentions the baby twice and hopes to get back to it soon.  The fact that she locks herself in her room and is tearing it apart shows even more so that she is losing her grip on reality.  I can only imagine what she has done to the room because when the doctor walks in the room he faints.

I may be totally off on this story but my interpretation but what lead me to my conclusion is this "Through watching so much at night (the wallpaper), when it changes so, I have finally found out.  The front pattern DOES move-and no wonder! The woman behind shakes it" (Gilman 25)  I think she is referring to herself, that she does not remember tearing off the wall paper so when she looks at it she thinks that someone else is changing it.