Worse than I imagined

I knew that the slaves were treated so horrible but the stories from a real life perspective are heartbreaking.  "A few slaves claimed they had to eat rotten of spoiled food.  Harriet Casey, born in Farmington, related the following: "To eat we had cornmeal and fried meat dat had been eaten by bugs."  I am glad I was not eating while I was reading this, this is so atrocious.  Some of the slaves were not treated as bad but still the places they had to sleep, the white men raping the black slaves, the whippings. 

Surprisingly there were slaves that were doctors; their practiced was "an old fashion herb doctor".  They were able to treat black folks and white ones.  This was the best part of reading From Sunup to Sundown in the Contexts section of Huckleberry Finn.

I felt the same way reading "From Sunup to Sundown." It was eye opening to read slavery actually helped the economy, but what really bothered me was "slave breeding." I just can't understand how the white people could treat slaves like property instead of human beings.

Details like the ones you mentioned--eating rotten food, rapes, beatings--are all really eye-opening details. When one hears the word slavery it is expected for one to immediately think that it is bad, but when thinking more deeply into what actually happened to slaves people can gain a better understanding of how bad it actually was.

That's a really good point to bring up. That could be totally possible and actually now that I think about it it's almost a positive that that will happen. I think we can see this idea in many aspects of life. For example the evolution of music... traditional gender roles, marriage/divorce, etc..