That's All Folks!

"...and so there ain't nothing more to write about, and I am rotten glad of it, because if I'd a knowed what a trouble it was to make a book I wouldn't a tackled it an ain't agoing to no more." (Twain 320)

When I finished the book, I actually read this line twice because I liked it so much. I thought it was a nice, somewhat humorous way to end the book. I thought it was funny because he said that it was so much trouble to write the book, but when you look back on all the trouble he went through to free Jim, writing a book is nothing. But I guess writing is less exciting than traveling down the Mississippi and having adventures. I also liked the line because there is some general truth in it. I know that I've started some things before and by the end I couldn't wait for them to be done.

Shortly after this line, Huck writes "...Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me and I can't stand it. I been there before." What's funny and and somewhat odd about this is that he knows he doesn't like being "civilized" but he's going to do it anyway. When I read it, I imagine him saying it in almost an "Oh no not again but I'll accept it" kind of attitude.

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/EL266/2009/10/clemens_adventu_1/

I liked that line too :) It was very cute to think of the boy finally being done with writing out all the adventures he had and being tired of all the writing! I think we can all sympathize with being tired of writing.

I didn't think Huck settled to be civilized because of the beginning of that line "But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest" (320). This made me think he was leaving before Aunt Sally could adopt him and "sivilize" (320) him.
So now I am confused as to whether he left town or if he stayed with Aunt Sally!

Jeremy Barrick said:

Didn't we learn that Twain took a long hiatus before finishing AHF? Writing a masterpiece like so had to be quite difficult. I can also side with Huck that maybe his adventures and all the troubles he got into were a bit tiring aas well. Maybe he is comparing his adventures to writing. Just a thought.

Meagan Gemperlein said:

I like the comparison of Huck's story and Twain's adventures with writing. It would certainly make sense!

Sarah Durham said:

I loved this line! It's kind of how I feel after trying to write a paper. It is definitely a great way to end a great story. Any Meagan you bring up a great point, writing must be a lot less fun compared to adventures going up and down the Mississippi River.

Kayla Lesko said:

Well, it seems that most of the characters in the novel have their own brand of logic...