Blogging Portfolio 3

Looking at my blogs from the end of the Fall 2009 semester at Seton Hill University, I can see how my blogging skills have developed. My entries became longer and more in depth, allowing my peers to discuss topics on my entries and I became more comfortable with commenting on my peer's blogs. Overall, blogging this semester was a nice experience and has helped me grow as a literature reader and writer. Listed below are readings discussed in ED266: American Literature from 1800-1915 from October 28, 2009 - December 2, 2009.

COVERAGE: Listed are all assigned readings with my corresponding blogs to each literary work.

Foster- How to Read Literature Like a Professor

Chapters 23-24
            Chapters 25-26
            Envoi
Clemens- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Chapters 36-Finish

Mallioux- The Bad Boy Boom

Scott- 'There's More Honor': Reinterpreting Tom and the Evasion in Huckleberry Finn

Smith- Huck, Jim, and the American Racial Discourse

John Henry- Traditional Poem

Washington- Address of Booker T. Washington

Du Bois- The Souls of Black Folk

Baum- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

DEPTH: The following blog entries are ones I thought had much detail and analysis or consisted of thoughts that were worthy of discussion with my course mates.  

Baum- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

INTERACTION: The links listed below consist of some of my course mate's blog entries that I commented on before our weekly class meeting. Ironically, my best comments happened most frequently on Jeremy and Heather's blogs.

Jeremy Barrick- "The Many Hats of Jim" (Smith- Huck, Jim and the American Racial Discourse)
Jerermy Barrick-
"John Henry The Mighty Force of Manual Labor" (John Henry Poem)
Heather Mourick-
"Heartache and Pollution" (Foster- Chapters 23-24)
Heather Mourick-
"Friends or Foes?" (Smith- Huck, Jim and the American Racial Discourse

DISCUSSION: The following links are my blog entries that led to a discussion either on the blog or during class.

The Adventures of Huck Finn- Chapters 36-Finish
            Mallioux- The Bad Boy Boom
            Foster- Chapters 23-24

TIMELINESS: Almost all of my blogs were posted before the specified date and time. These three entries, however, were some of the first entries posted on the course site.

XENOBLOGGING:

Sarah Durham- "Race": Sarah was talking a lot about race in her blog and how society links specific races to specific types of people. Her comments reminded me of a humorous song from the musical Avenue Q, so I posted a link to a YouTube video of the song. Even though the song is poking fun of people and race, it still holds some truth.

Smith- Huck, Jim, and the American Racial Discourse: On this specific blog entry, I had linked one of Heather's previous blogs to the current blog I was writing. I had remembered reading her comments on Jim and his education and thought I would tie them together to show that everything fits.

Jennifer Prex- "Bad Boys": Although my comment may not be the most insightful, I think that Jenn's blog entry on Jim and Huck made a lot of sense and gave insight into both characters. I thought more people would have written comments.

WILDCARD:

"A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the End of Huckleberry Finn"- I had some complications with my Huck Finn text and thought the story was humorous and wanted to share.

"Blogging in the USA" - For my creative presentation, I chose to write a song parody to the song "Party in the USA". In this blog, I explained why I chose this type of presentation and included the lyrics to the song "Blogging in the USA".