Happy is What Happens When Your Dreams Come True...Well Isn't It?

"In meeting men, in many places, I have found that the happiest people are those who do the most for others; the most miserable are those who do the least." (Booker T. Washington, The Atlanta Exposition, para. 20)

This particular quotation really struck me. I think that it's very profound and inspiring to say that the more you help others, the happier you can be. He didn't say the more you get want you want the happier you are or when all your dreams come true or any other event that could happen to only youself. It's doing things for other people which bring happiness. And really if you think about it, it's true. Washington seems to really be focusing on community and bringing people together as opposed to looking specifically at individual needs. It makes me think of ABC's Extreme Makeover Home Edition and how people feel on the show when they help families out. I think comments like these made Washington a great speaker.

"I said that any individual who learned to do something better than anybody else--learned to do a common thing in an uncommon manner-" (Booker T. Washington, Two Thousand Miles for a Five Minute Speech, para. 12)

Something similar to this was on the back of Heinz Ketchup bottles. I think it was "To do a common thing uncommonly well brings success."

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/EL266/2009/11/washington_addr/#comments