I Trust My Soul

"there must come a loftier respect for the sovereign human soul that seeks to know itself and the world about it; that seeks a freedom for expansion and self-development" (DuBois, Of the Training of Black Men, para. 28)

I was interested in the fact that the one of the functions of the "Negro College" is to know your soul in relation to the world and find ways to expand upon what your know. Really, it's a great philosophy of education. Not all education has to be memorizing facts and figures. It's important to know certain information but the person who is learning the information must grow as well. Saying that the soul of a black should be respected and seek development in the world was a step to giving blacks the same rights as whites. In a sense, respecting someone's soul would equate to respect who they are as a person and accepting them into a soctiety. No matter what kind of education or from what kind of institute your education is recieved, the bottom line is the person being educated learns to respect themselves and their community and grow as a person.

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/EL266/2009/11/du_bois_the_sou/#more

Kayla Lesko said:

I think that's why Du Bois decides to criticize Washington because he viewed his philosophy as almost as bad as slavery.

Jennifer Prex said:

I never thought of that before. I agree, though, that respecting someone's soul is to respect that person as a whole. The soul is the essence of the person. It is who everyone is.

Katie Lantz said:

Ah, I love the point you make here. I think the whole point of education is learning how to learn and tolerate views different than your own.

Why else would we be blogging?