Progress Report For "Phantom"

I have decided, for my final project for Writing For the Internet, that I will create an Interactive Fiction game!  I looked at the options I had for this project which were basically down to creating an IF game, or a website.  I had some trouble when we were creating the website's and I wasn't sure what I would make a website on, so I decided to do an IF game.  When we created the sample games in class, it was a lot of fun for me to come up with a theme for my game and create all of the smaller details that went with it.

Because I was so interested in the game, I thought for this project that I would expand on the one I was working on earlier this month.  I named it "Phantom" and I was basing it off of Phantom of the Opera.  I had so many ideas for the game and I am sure I will not have enough time to create everything that I want to create for it!! But I am hoping that the general idea will be interesting enough to others.

Legend has it that the Phantom still haunts the Opera house in France.  You are playing a ghost hunter in search of the Phantom.  You start the game off in the lobby of the Opera house.  From there you are on the hunt to find clues, unlocked doors, dungeons, and basically anything that might lead you to the Phantom.  But does he actually exist?  You are hoping to find him but there is a chance he is not there.  You must rely on the clues and what you see to decide for yourself if you should continue on the search.

I thought this would be a fun game for people to play.  Almost everyone has heard of the Phantom of the Opera so it is already familiar.  I did not go off of a specific game for this, I just knew I wanted to create a mystery game because those were the most fun that I had played.

I have already drawn out the map for this and I have many ideas ready to go.  The basis for the rooms is already completed, so I am hoping I can just get as much done as I can!

Maddie Gillespie said:

Yeah, IF games have got (most) everyone excited about what's going on. I love the fact that you were able to draw on a popular and well known tale and embellished it with new original content! That's really tying everything together. Mystery seems to play an essential part in IF games, so I applaud you for taking this angle. If you need any ideas for puzzles or anything, or anything that I can help with, don't hesitate to give me a shout out.