Traveling To A Lazy Future? Yes.

There were two quotes from this clip that powerfully stuck out to me, "At some point soon--sooner than most of us think--the print edition, and with it The Times as we know it, will no longer exist." And, "Fitch believes more newspapers and news­paper groups will default, be shut down and be liquidated in 2009 and several cities could go without a daily print newspaper by 2010."

I was definitely not aware of what was happening with this newspaper die out?  Not until we discussed it in class atleast.  And now after reading that little clip I can tell that this is a major issue.  It actually scares me a lot and I don't like it.

I think sometimes we (the world) are traveling too fast into a lazy future.  There are too many ways to name for how this is happening but now I can add this to the list.  People used to be out at church on Sunday's or out at the stores for food shopping and clothes shopping and they would grab the "daily" paper.  Now, most of what I just named is done online and more sad than that, not as many people travel to church anymore.  Everyone sits at home and watches TV or browses the web.

So I can understand why the newspaper companies (or whatever you call them) are making this change.  They are in a downward spiral from such a large decrease in paper sales due to this laziness.  I can understand that they need to cut off paper because it is just the choice of the people to stay at home and get there news online.

I guess I'm actually just mad at the "people" in general and not at the newspaper people who are deciding this.  All I know is that my grandparents are going to be completely lost without their papers because they have no idea how to find news on the computer let alone how to turn it on.

So it will be a sad day when there is no more daily news in print but I guess times are changing and since we are getting more electronic in this world, it only makes sense.  I am just not a big fan of change...too bad thats what life is about!

Back to class...

Jeremy Barrick said:

Did it have to turn into a downward spiral? No. Our wonderful, former leaders, could have prevented all of this from happening. The USA is spending too much money elsewhere: the war, Global Warming prevention, and lining their own pockets.

Does this all have to be negative? I don't think of this as lazy either. To me, it is more effiecient. It wastes less paper to look up the news online. It's the same thing only without the paper part. (Green!)

Also, by the time the newspapers really end printing, your grandparents and those who don't know how to use a computer will probably be gone.

In my blog, I compared it to (or at least I think I did) record players. There came a more effiecent way called cassetts, CD's, and now iPods which are like a computer/internet because you aren't limited to one physical item/albumn.

I agree with you. Our future is heading in an increasingly more lazy and convenient direction. Ever see the movie Wall-E? It wraps this idea up in a cute exterior, but it still shows a grim and scary possibility of a lazy future and the consequences that brings. I hope the Earth never ends up that way, but unfortunately it's remotely foreseeable.

Lenen said:

The future is online, newspapers have to change their mindsettings to survive. The same counts for every other business in the world, look at the car industry who are now forced to produce cleaner cars etc.

This is just how the market works...