The School does its Best

I definitely was taken aback with the text message that I had received early Sunday morning.  My only problem with it is that it didn't give enough information that I wanted.  Then again, I thought that maybe no one wanted to send out the wrong information.  Sure, it wasn't much but I understood that there was a problem and that I shouldn't go outside.  I called my mom, and my roommates and I put on the news.  This was all I could do besides wait, and sure enough we got another text message not 40 min later saying the alert was over.

I think that if an alert like this would have gone out at 3 or 4 in the morning it would have caused more panic.  More likely people would have been outside searching for what was happening.  Instead, the school figured most people were safe because they were in their dorms sleeping so why wake them with an alerting text?  They waited until it was about the time we were all waking up, and they didn't want anyone to drive by and see that kind of scene: so I get it.

To be a reporter for something like a school shooting would be a really rough job.  I'm not sure I would be able to handle it the way a reporter should.  Obviously I know I couldn't right now because I am still in school.  Even later in life, I would only be able to sympathize with the students and their families; I would never be able to hound them with microphones, a pen, and a piece of paper.  I think school shootings are one of the most horrific things to take place in society today.  It is scary for me to even think about and more so sad.  I give credit to the reporters that can get the story out there because it is important for people to know the facts about something serious like that.  But I do not give them credit for doing what they sometimes have to do to get the job done, which is to be the bad guy.