The Challenged Journalist

I know right from the start that spot news is not sopposed to be newsworthy or terribly important information.  Reading the first article, "Golden Gate Park Layoffs," I understood how un-important it can truly be.  Her first few lines dealt with information that I didn't even care to read nor did I care to read the rest of the story because of it.  I'm sure there are some people who would be interested in the story and as for the story as a whole, the big picture, it is definitely interesting.  However, the lead was not grabbing my attention and a lot of the quotes weren't until the end of the story; and it was a pretty long story.

The second article, "Ethanol IndyCars," had a more attention grabbing start but I didn't feel more strongly toward this article as opossed to the first article.  The story had some more organized and well-contructed quotes and paragraph entries so that made it more interesting for me.

In the end, especially after reading "Speeches and Meeting Basics", I think there is a challenge for journalists.  It is challenging to write stories that are not newsworthy.  Journalists take the opportunity because sometimes that is the only option.  Strong newsworthy stories are more then often not always available and if the journalist can't write that then what can they write?  Well, they can write the short boring stories that people will just skim over.  That is the challenge of a journalist.  The challenge is making stories pop out to readers even if they don't seem interesting.  Journalists have the ability to make them interesting.  It is not just about covering a story and writing down some quotes.  So much goes into what the audience is going to think about it.  I raise my hat to journalists who can do this well.  Especially because I am hoping to be one some day. 

See what my classmates think

Derek Tickle said:

Nicely said, Megan! I agree that the first few lines and some in between seemed somewhat boring or unnecessary. I think that a news writer should consider the need for a newsworthy article, but sometimes they just don't have the time. This would especially occur with a breaking news story.

April Minerd said:

I wouldn't say these articles were examples of reporting on something un-newsworthy. Both suggest environmental issues of one sort or another, especially the Indy story. And Going "Green" is a big subject these days, even trendy you might say. But I agree the Golden Gate article was slow to get to the point and, even then, not as interesting as the other article, in my opinion.

Megan Seigh said:

I do agree that in some cases the journalist would not have time to come up with a good lead for their story...especially on spot news. I just think this is a good example of why it is still important to have that "eye-catching" lead to attract people's attention. The going green article was interesting, like I said, but I still wasn't convinced of it gathering a lot of readers with the way the article was set up.