Talking and Writing; Both Important

"Once inscribed, the words in a document become fixed, and the order in which they appear is fixed.  All the spontaneity, mobility, improvisation, the quick responsiveness of spoken speech vanishes" (Havelock 70).

After some detailed class discussions on the obvious importance of the spoken word, and this text by Eric A. Havelock titled The Muse Learns to Write, I have decided to be more lenient in accepting this form of communication.  I have always sided with the idea that writing makes more sense the orally speaking, and in many cases I can still agree with that because that is what I do; I write.  However, when I think about this quote and I think about the passion that is also behind oral communication; I can agree that it takes experience, knowledge, and a love for the spoken word to orally present thoughts and ideas.

Writing is fixed, but that is a certain fact that I love about the written word; it cannot be changed.  Stories are stuck in stone when they are written and that is the beauty of being able to write.  I don't want the words to change or the story to change; I want my stories to be read word for word.  This is the textual side of me speaking, but I do have an oral side even though it is small.  I love to talk but not just talk, sometimes I love to present.  I cannot just stand somewhere and talk, I need to use props, gestures, pictures, and if I could I would love to always use text.

"This kind of language has an importance which casual talk never has" (Havelock 70).

Havelock goes on to say that society does rely on an oral communication but it cannot survive without the documents and the written fixed statements.  I am sure there has to be some compromise between spoken and written word.  Society cannot survive without either of these forms of communication because we need to hear something and we need to see it in writing; I think that could be in an agreement with many people.  

There is another quote by Havelock that I loved; "Such language has to be memorized.  There is no other way of guaranteeing its survival" (Havelock 70).  There are two ways we learn language in society today.  As toddler, we learn to speak by just listening to the spoken word around us.  That mental process still astounds me; how can we just know what objects and words mean?  This  can seem so simple and so difficult to understand at the same time.  The other way we learn language is by reading it.  Sometimes it is hard for us to understand the specific meaning of something without reading the sentence in which it has context.  Both way's of learning are impossible for human's to get by without knowing; we need both oral and written communication to continually educate society.