YouTube: Another Reliable Source...

I had watched the YouTube video, How NOT To Use Powerpoint 3 years ago in a business class and the effect of humor it has on me is still the same.

Don McMillan points out the obvious problems that people encounter when using powerpoint during presentations.  My thoughts are that people who are not comfortable with oral speaking, hide behind their fancy usage of powerpoint.  This video shows the terrible effects that the written word has on an oral presentation.  This supports Socrates in his explanations of the written word  causing a laziness and forgetfulness of the thought process.  As I have explained in my other recent blogs, I consider the written word to be a useful tool and that also includes my thoughts after I watched this video.

The exert I had read from Anthony Di Renzo's "His Master's Voice: Tiro and the Rise of the Roman Secretarial Class," popped into my head as I was watching and reflecting on this video.  Di Renzo wrote, "The written word was only a silent monument to deeds and words - important sure, but still secondary.  Literature as we know it, barely existed."

Oral presentations are not under a rule where they have to be given using powerpoint or technology of that nature.  This YouTube video gave me the impression that a presentation has to be given with the correct use of powerpoint but does it have to be given by powerpoint at all?  Of course it doesn't.  Any professional oral speaker would know that the most affective speech is given when the presenter is fully engaged in their audience; of course if a few slides on a powerpoint are necessary then that is still appropriate.

I do not think this video has anything to do with the written word being less important than the spoken word.  The use of text was being used as something humorous and unnecessary in the video.  I have witnessed a lot of terrible powerpoint presentations in college when the students are just lazy and rely on reading the text without adding anything else, so I can agree with what McMillan was saying about how sloppy it looks.  However, in regards to how this relates to the power of the written word; well, I think it is unreliable.