Grab A Copy

In Writing Material, Elizabeth Eisenstein said, "Sixteenth-century publications not only spread identical fashions but also encouraged the collection of diverse ones.  Books illustrating diverse costumes worn throughout the world, were studied by artists and engravers and duplicated in so many contexts that stereotypes of regional dress styles were developed.  They acquired a paper life for all eternity and may be recognized even now on dolls, in operas, or at costume balls," (Eisenstein, 128).

I still can't get out of my head how awesome it would have been or how, for lack of a better term, "cool" it would have been for people to finally be able to share ideas and items through these pictures.  It seems easy living in a world today where we can look everywhere and find copies of pictures of clothing and we are able to see what the new fashions are.  I am able to pick up a magazine and see what people are wearing and who they are with, 500,000 miles away from me.  This is the beauty of the printing press.

How astonishing to be that first person who copied a picture and could share it with someone who was not familiar with it.  This gives the printing press a whole new meaning:  A universal meaning.  It was no longer used to copy texts.  More simply, it was used to copy the image.  The actual image of the time.  This is why we are able to recollect the clothing they wore from that time and how they presented themselves and what kinds of items surrounded them.  Sure, we could have read about all of these things but what is ingrained in my brain is the images I have seen.

This reminds me of when I've read a book that gets turned into a movie.  I read the book and I have these images of what the people look like and the time period and the setting.  When the movie comes out based on that book, I suddenly have new images of who these characters are and where they are.  Then if I go back to read the book, I can no longer picture the initial images in my head.  Instead, I am seeing the images that I saw with my own eyes portrayed on screen.  This relates to the invention of copying pictures.  Sometimes we need more than words.  The printing press, no matter how time-consuming and grueling it would have been to duplicate pictures, gave civilization a new way to learn and a new way to bring people together.