I Have Hope and Desire For This One

I don't think a chapter in Joseph Williams' book could make me more embarrassed this one.  I felt like he was talking to me; although, if it was significant enough for him to write in the book, then I guess I am not the only writer committing these crimes.  I think almost everything Williams suggested not to do in this chapter in Style, is something that I have done and continue to do.

For instance:
-Meaningless words
-Doubled words
-Redundant Modifiers
-Redundant Categories

What I have a lot of trouble with is, "Metadiscourse That Attributes Your Ideas to a Source.  Don't announce that something has been observed, noticed, noted, and so on; just state the fact," (Williams, 86).  I always feel like I have to introduce something in a sentence and I am always getting feedback telling me to stop that and just state the fact but either I never remember or I just can't get a feel for doing it.  I feel the need to introduce what I am going to say.  It's really unfortunate.

However, I have already been aware of my problems with concision.  I think it makes me cringe to think about getting rid of the meaningless and doubled words because I'm not going to have anything else to work with!  Yes, I am going to have to work on concision.

A parenthetic citation is often all you need.

As Smith notes, "the moon is made of green cheese" (123).

That sentence doesn't help you make your own point.

Because "the moon is made of green cheese" (Smith 123), [here you can make an original point].

Sean said:

Your blog page looks way cooler than mine.