Is it Really Going to Help?

I don't know if I am the only one who feels this way, but I don't enjoy when someone assume's they know me, which has slightly tampered my feelings toward Italo Calvino in his book If On A Winter's Night A Traveler.  Though he does have a cool name.  When reading the intro to this book I began to think that his way of writing specifically to the reader would stop after the into; but I was wrong.

The style of writing is creative and it is different.  I will be glad to read this book for those reasons alone.  I enjoy a challenge and I enjoy reading something that isn't normal just to say that I did.  However, this will be more tough then I presumed because I have yet to find out what this book is going to be about.  I couldn't tell you one thing about it yet, except that Calvino writes in second person.

"You are at your desk, you have set the book among your business papers as if by chance; at a certain moment you shift a file and you find the book before your eyes, you open it absently, you rest your elbows on the desk, you rest your temples against your hands, curled into fists, you seem to be concentrating on an examination of the papers and instead you are exploring the first pages of the novel," (Calvino, 7).

Does he want me to be doing these things?  This is kind of monotonous to me because it doesn't pertain to what is actually happening as I am reading.  I feel like I am reading a book that is meant for someone else.  He had to have figured that some readers would feel that way so I find it hard to believe that this wasn't an intention of his.  Does he want to make me feel uncomfortable?  A little irritated?  Confused?  Probably.  A smart author knows how he wants his audience to feel; therefore, I am interested in seeing where this book goes since Calvino seems to "know me" so well.