Let's Talk Adventure Shall We?

As the class starts to look at Inform 7, it is beneficial to get an idea for the games we want to create by looking at other IF games.  The first one I looked at was Shade.  We looked at this game together in class and I thought the concept was interesting.  I had no idea there was going to be so much more than just trying to find the tickets.  It was exciting but frustrating, although I think most IF games have to be.  The second game I looked at was Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy.  At first, there wasn't much description.  But I liked how it played like the actual story.  This is where I got the idea to think of a a real event that has happened.  I know this story isn't real, but it based off of a real book.  The third game I looked at was Broken Legs.  I thought it was hilarious.  I wanted to play a game where you had to be the villain but it was actually kind of tough!  You want to get to the stage and take anyone down who gets in your way or DO anything it takes.  I obviously had to laugh at it instead of being repulsed by it.  This game gave me the idea that I would have the player choose to help others or fend for themselves and see what happens!

The genre I chose to do for my game is adventure; obviously.  To me, an adventure game is the most exciting type of IF game.  The setting is in the bottom steerage floor of the Titanic.  You heard me correctly: The Titanic.  The object of the game is to make it out of the bottom floor and up to a lifeboat before the Titanic sinks.

The PC is the person playing, there won't be a concrete character with a name and life story.  When the person says "Inventory" or "Examine Me" they will find that the only thing they are carrying is their Titanic boarding tickets and possibly some money (which won't do them any good).

Some of those concrete actions my PC will do is find the key to unlock the room they are trapped in.  Search the floor's for an extra life-vest.  Make the decision to save others that they will find, or to keep going on their own.  Break down a gate to get to the staircase.

The opening will go something life this:

"It has not been the greatest of evenings.  You had just gotten ready for bed, and you chose to read a little before you went to sleep when you felt a disturbing jolt.  People started screaming on your floor, but before you could wonder what was happening you looked out the window and noticed the boat stopped moving.  Now, a stream of water is flowing in under the door and you can't seem to locate the key you used to lock yourself in."

PC: Look

"Your room is not the neatest of rooms.  You kept your bed clean and without wrinkles but that is the only thing not covered in grime.  This isn't completely your fault; a third-class ticket gets you this kind of room.  You have a closet and a dresser in the corner as well as a desk!  If you can call that a desk.  The door is before you, but without the key it is kind of a mute point.  Near your bed is a small round window where you can see the water starting to cover.  Yikes."

The player will figure out what to do when they continue to move through the tasks given to them.  The game will always remind them of what they have to do next whether it be swim through a flooded room, find the nearest staircase, or steel some clothes to make them look first class.  The game will get harder when after each tack is complete there will be a harder task.  I could make finding the key a lot more difficult, but since it is the first thing they need to do, I'll make it go more smoothly.  The player will be rewarded by getting to higher ground and having more items to help them reach the deck.

At first, I thought about the multiple endings, but when you're on the Titanic, it is pretty much concretely a win/lose situation.  So, the player will either make it to a life boat or go down with the ship...(I hope that's not too morbid).

If I don't have enough time, then I would get out a level and make getting to the deck a faster approach.  If there is more time than I would work on each level and make it seem impossible for the player to get out before the rooms get flooded.

Kiley Fischer said:

If this is morbid, then I'm just as morbid as you. This sounds awesome! I'd play it.

I love HHGG. The game version is very, very hard, and very very unfair, but that's pretty much Arthur Dent's life, so it fits.

When you're ready, I can help you add the code that will set a countdown timer. How fast do you want the water to rise? Will the player be able move through the deck as the water slowly rises? How do you want the game to report to the player the various levels of water? Or do you just want to say that each time the player makes to a stairwell, "YOu hear the rush of water below you," and now that whole level is inaccessible?

Write out some scenes that describe how the game will tell the player about the flood level, so we can determine how we can code this.