Beta Release Report: Making Changes to HTML/CSS

Learning From Volunteer's
The main idea that I learned from my volunteers, was that I need to stop talking about what I'm going to do with my website and just do it.  The problem was that when the volunteers were looking at my HTML, I would start saying something like "Oh, I will finish that later," or "Yes, I planned on adding that soon."  Finally, my first volunteer said, "Well why aren't you adding it then?"  I completely agree that I need to suck it up and make the changes to my HTML no matter how much I'm afraid to get rid of the original look because that was the reason why I wasn't changing things.  I have my navigation bar at the top, but I still have the original navigation in the body of the homepage.  I have been keeping it there in case something went wrong with the navigation bar, but I think it's time that I take everything in the body of the homepage out so I can really get a feel for what my homepage is going to look like.

You can see in this image my homepage with a user using the messed up links.  The black and white fuzzy coloring is wrong and for some reason adding the code for these buttons messed with my style.css and made my homepage black and white instead of the green I had.  As you can see, the mouse pointer over one of the links turns the link into a green button, which IS what it's supposed to do, but the rest was not worth the hassle.

In this picture, you can see some of the other pages I have worked on, like the VIDEO page.  This page has the navigation bar that I originally made when I came back to HTML and I think this is what I need to bring back to the home page, unless I can figure something else out.

This photo shows the code for the buttons I wanted that didn't work out very well.  This code messes everything up unfortunately.

Changes I Have Already Made
  • Some changes I had already made involved changing my home page navigation bar to buttons that looked appropriate for the iPad, but then the coding was just not working to get it looking right, so then I had to change it back to the original navigation bar.

• I cleaned up many of the links that did not have the style sheet attached, or the ones that had nothing written in them thus far.
Further Changes To Make
  • The most important thing I have to do is add my resume.  I think it is highly important that my resume be apart of this HTML, especially on the home page for any future employers to see.

• The next important thing would be adding writing samples.  I got this idea from a student in my class, and I think it makes complete sense to add a section titled "Writing Samples" and add my work for people to see and for my own benefit.

• The last change I would try an attempt would be working on the buttons again for the navigation bar.  I think it would be great to make these buttons iPad appropriate, but I fear it will take up a lot of time to get the code working since it just ended up being confusing the recent time I tried.
If I Had More Time
  • If I had more time, the first thing I would do is add "sub links" to some of the links in my navigation bar.  I think it would organize the navigation through my website in a more refined manner.

• The next thing I would do if I had more time is work out a new way to get the iPad-looking buttons.  I might have to search the internet to find helpful codes (I have already done this but apparently I need to dig deeper).  I really wanted my buttons to have that cool looking affect but I don't think its going to happen by Dec 8, especially if I don't want it to mess with my code or my style sheet.
Here is a look into my HTML work, portfolio's, and video: