Revised Midterm Portfolio

This is the blogging Midterm Portfolio of Megan Seigh.  This revised Portfolio contains the contents of 3 screencasts from projects worked on throughout the semester during EL405 (Media Projects).

Scratch, the second time around, proved to be much more easier and efficient then the first few weeks.  I found that after working through Inform 7 and Html, I was able to come back to Scratch with a certain amount of experience and ease.  I didn't get frustrated with the coding and I was able to fix and work with Scratch in double the time that I could when I first began it.

YouTube video of Scratch Screencast

I learned more from the user testing this time around, because I realized sometimes the user doesn't know that there is anything wrong, especially if they have never seen the program before.  My tester had never seen Scratch before, so I don't think she noticed the problem at the end.  User testing is important, but it is also important for you, the creator, to constantly be on the look out for what you can do better and what you can fix.  I noticed the problem at the end and didn't mention it to her; instead, I fixed the problem, which you can see in the video above.

You can take a look at my past Scratch portfolio's here:

Inform 7 was also a lot easier when working with it for the second time.  Going over my game again, I noticed that there was not much more I wanted to do with it, but I was able to spend some time adding another level to the game.  I worked with Inform 7 two years ago and I did enjoy it, but for some reason I have enjoyed it more during this class.  I think the reason is for the amount of time I got to work on the project without being disturbed.  It was harder in a 50 minute class to think about what I wanted to do and actually attempt it, and try to work through it before the class ended.  During this 3 hour class, I am able to spend quality time with my game without forgetting what I am doing or not having time to fix problems and then having to start over during the next class.

This user testing was helpful, because it was with someone who understands Inform 7.  Through this testing, I was able to gain perseepctive that sometimes my directions aren't always helpful, and that there is always room for more storyline.  Such as more violence; because who doesn't want that in a text adventure game?

Play My Inform 7 Game!--Updated TITANIC Inform 7

You can take a look at my Inform 7 Portfolio's here:

There was not much time to go back to my HTML/CSS project for a second time, however, I do not see this as a big problem right now, since I am choosing to work on this project for the remainder of this semester.  I had also worked with HTML two years ago and I can say that it came so much easier while working on it for this EL405.  I know the reason for this is not only the small amounts of time we had to work during the other class, but also the book we had to use to get through.  With HTML, a step-by-step process is tedious and time-consuming with not a lot of results being shown for it by the end of a class period.  I guess this is just another benefit of being in a smaller class that is concentrated in 3 hours at a time.

With my user testing, I was able to see that the video's I had on my web page do not come up on the iPad because the iPad does not support that type of video.  This is good to know but also unfortunate, though I'm not sure if I will keep the videos on there or not.  However, the rest of the application worked, and I was able to go back and add another section that I meant to add a few weeks ago, which was already set up and ready to be posted.

You can take a look at my HTML/CSS Portfolio's here: