Hawthorne's Symbolism ...Attempt at Thesis 1

I am having a hard time turning my statement into a sound thesis statement.  I want to compare Hawthornes symbolic characters (Pearl, The Scarlet Letter, and Faith, Young Goodman Brown). I was trying to figure out a way use the two characters to describe Hawthorne's symbolism of sin in a Puritan society.  I am having trouble decideing if it debatable, and if I am saying it correctly.   Here it goes....

Hawthorne's uses characters  (Pearl in The Scarlet Letter and Faith in Young Goodman Brown) to represent sin and corruption in an otherwise sinless, Puritan society.  These symbolic characters , while reflecting evil, and sin to some, are a metaphor of virtue and goodness to others.  

Sounds like you have found a complex way to look at these characters. So say that Faith and Pearl are both more postive than negative? Definitely Pearl ends up a positive symbol -- her tears symbolically wash Dimemesdale, Hester has all along called Pearl her salvation, and even Chillingworth thinks highly enough of her to leave his fortune to her. But does Faith mean the same thing to Brown that she means to us, the readers? I'd be interested to see how your ideas develop as you look into the evidence. This is a good start. Is Puritan society really sinless in this book? Hawthrone calls the Puritans intolerant, and we hear of Quaker-beating and such. Good start, Meliassa. You're ready to start collecting evidence.