Think Again, Scrooge

I've seen different adaptations of the movie version of A Christmas Carol, and I've never especially liked Scrooge. I never even found him justified in keeping his money or being mean in the movie version, but by just reading the first part of the story, I found myself thinking, "maybe he was right to keep at least some of his money." He may be selfish, and really people should give back to those who are less fortunate, but when I saw that Scrooge's life wasn't the picture perfect lifestyle that I had originally envisioned, I felt sorry for him.

"At one of these a lonely boy was reading near a feeble fire; and Scrooge sat down upon a form, and wept to see his poor forgotten self as he used to be" (Dickens).

It didn't seem like Scrooge was very happy at the place he was staying, until his sister arrives to take him back home a couple Christmases later. Then soon after, the reader sees that he becomes an apprentice and has to work hard. Sure, his life wasn't the hardest, but he wasn't born with riches. He had to earn them, and I think that that plays a huge role in why Scrooge has probably been hoarding his money. He just needed a little reminder to give some of it back to the community, which is what the three ghosts end up doing. In the end though, I didn't expect to find myself sympathizing with Scrooge.  

I actually laughed at the begining of the book when Scrooge was being such a jerk, because sometimes that's how I feel like acting at Christmastime when the same songs are playing nonstop or the crowds are swarming the malls. I really like that you point out that the problem the ghosts have with Scrooge isn't really that he doesn't like Christmas, it's that he's downright mean. He just doesn't see why Christmas should be any different than other days, and all of his other days have failed to impress him too. I agree, Melissa, you can totally sympathize with Scrooge. Yeah, he was greedy, but who hasn't ever worked for something and then not wanted to give it up once it's attained? Everyone's been there. Also, as you say, Scrooge wasn't born into money, he had to earn his way. Because of that, he probably thought other people should do the same.

Melissa Schwenk said:

Josie, I definitely agree with you about the Christmas music. I am definitely not a fan of that stuff either, so that may have influenced why I sympathized with Scrooge even more. I kind of felt that this story wasn’t really about Christmas at all, but just a convenient time for Dickens to further enhance his point of redemption for Scrooge. Actually, it sort of annoyed me that it was set at Christmas time because I felt that the ghosts should have come to bother him sooner or even at a different time other than the holidays to have a bigger impact. If Scrooge would have started being nice (not because it’s Christmas) it would probably enhance his transformation. Either way, I’m kind of amazed at how much you got out of my entry (things I didn’t even know were in there).