HTRLAP; chapter 3

The most thought-provoking tidbit I got from this chapter caused me to both ponder it for a moment and then say, "But what now?"

The line I will reference is the last in the chapter, and states "My guess is that as long as people act toward their fellows in exploitative and selfish ways, the vampire will be with us."

I agree with this to an extent. The vampire, a leech-like being, chooses to continue its ways to preserve its undead lifestyle. Perhaps I am not taking it at face value like the author does, but I see much deeper meanings (some of those even he describes) but I see the vampire as a victim, not the victee. (Okay, that is way wrong, but you know what I mean.) I don't think a vampire is the antagonist. But I am getting off topic. (You want real off topic? Look up vampiric behavior versus sexuality or vampires and homosexuality....hysterical!)

My main point from this line is that not everything or everyone "evil" is selfish. Sometimes there can be a persuasive hidden eaning in the actions or comments of a character. Yes, sometimes a vampire is just a vampire, but sometimes there is so much more under the surface.

A vampire to me is someone whos fate was effected by someone in their past. For example a "real" vampire is only one because someone turned him into one, maybe he/she wanted to be one or maybe they didn't have a choice.

Vampires are slaves to the thirst and to their condition. A ordinary person may be thrown into unfortunate circumstances but at the end of the day they are left to the choices they make with their own free will. I don't know if I can agree on the idea that vampires are victims rather than victimizers but I do have an ounce of sympathy for their case because they are left with no other choice.

You make good reasoning. I am sure once there is still an ounce of human within them there can be some resistance but once fully vampire that struggle exists no longer because as the human changed to a different species so did the nature of the species. You have got me thinking now. Could there be vampires out there that do not want to drink human blood? Is Twilight a mere movie or based on some type of evidence? Hmmm...I wonder?!

I wonder, where did the first ever vampire come from? I know that this is all fiction but someone had to be able to explain where the first one came from. There was nobody there to bite him/her. Just some food for thought!!