« window keyboard hand | Main | bed lamp keys »

I just sneezed and woke my roommate up.

"...he had a look of composed dissatisfaction as if he understood life thoroughly."

This is one of those lines that really made me rethink the story. As soon as I thought I was figuring Mr. Shiflet out, O'Conner throws this monkey wrench at me. Is he a diety? Is he just really collected? Is he a spirit? Is he a skewed depiction of Christ? This line (along with many others) were not dropped into the text haphazardly. Gotta love those lines were placed here to pose open ended questions about pretty much everything in this story, and offer some religious/spiritual outlooks on everything. Who would have thought we'd see this in and O'Conner story...

At first, I thought Mr. Shiftlet was a Christ figure, too. One of the lines that made me think this was, "Lemme tell you something: there ain't any place in the world for a poor disabled friendless drifting man." It reminded me of how Christ was a drifter as well, and before he gathered his disciples, he really didn't have any friends. Then I changed my mind and decided I didn't think he was a Christ figure because I don't think Christ would leave a deaf girl, who was his wife, at a restaurant in the middle of no where a hundred miles from home.