« How cool would it be if the plural of sausage was sausagi? | Main | I just sneezed and woke my roommate up. »

window keyboard hand

“On the page, punctuation performs its grammatical function, but in the mind of the reader it does more than that. It tells the reader how to hum the tune.”

I'm pretty sure this is the definition of punctuation for a creative writer. I am a strong believer that content and interpretation are equals in the process of creating a great piece of literature. You can write something that sounds amazing in your head, but unless you puctuate it right, the reader will not follow the same path as you,and much of the emotion and intrigue will be lost. Punctuation truely does put a tune to words. Words are merely our notes, puctuation is a our time signatures, rests, and tempos. You could put some amazing words on a piece of paper, but if there is no reason or rhyme to them, they will make no impact.