Damn NATO And Their Earthquakes...

"Some writers are so addicted to using qualifiers-or so insecure- that they guard their flanks with such words even when the flanks need no guarding" (Cappon 15).

I actually enjoyed these two chapters, especially Chapter Two because it provided a lot of examples of what not to write vs. what to write. The above quote talks about "Qualifiers," a term I wasn't very familiar with. After reading the section I realized I knew exactly what they were, just not what they were called.  

This section even made me chuckle. One example of an unneeded qualifier was, "a presumably unrelated earthquake..." to which Cappon responds, 'Presumably'? Could NATO have arranged that quake?"

So it makes sense to have some confidence in your writing to avoid mistakes like the above. But to also know when you absolutely need a qualifier in order to avoid a lawsuit!

Oh, I am quite familiar with qualifiers. My roommates tease me that I can’t say anything without sticking a qualifier in. I never really thought about it as a lack of confidence, I just like to make sure that what I say is 100% true and when one tags that little qualifier onto the end of one’s statement, it becomes full-proof (at least in my opinion). The statement can always be supported because you can always say, “well, I said probably.” However, Cappon is right. If we do use qualifiers it does throw the entire article into shades of doubt. Readers won’t know what is certain and what isn’t. So we’ll have to use those qualifiers sparingly, only when we absolutely need them.

Derek Tickle said:

Well done, Michelle. I, also, really enjoyed the second chapter more so than the first because of how it taught us how to write instead of simply listing a ton of facts that no one will remember. In your example, I think you really noted a qualifier that probably should have been avoided or not? It is amazing how "one" word can make a sentence should completely wrong or absolutely correct.

I wasn't very familiar with qualifiers before reading this chapter. I guess that qualifiers are more of a way to make, as Greta said, a full-proof statement rather than display a lack of confidence. However, there are times that I say things and tack on the qualifier just in case I'm wrong in which case it is a lack of confidence.

lol, I was just rereading my comment. I talk about how we shouldn't use qualifiers and then I go and use one right in my comment. Notice the: "at least in my opinion," the I tagged onto my one sentence there. Talk about irony.

You gotta be careful nowadays. You never know what the government is capable of! Earthquakes! It's only a matter of time! (Note the sarcasm)

I agree with Michelle that the use of qualifiers is mostly used to cover you butt so people can't take you to court or disupte something you said because you tagged "in my opinion" or "probably."

Michelle Tantlinger said:

Oh Greta...lol...that was a perfect example. It's even in parenthesis to emphasize that your adding it on...I actually thought you did it on purpose because you are clever like that! But, there is nothing wrong with unintentional cleverness!