MLA, APA, Chicago, AP Style...My Poor English Brain!

I think Dr. Jerz did a good job explaining these tips during class. This is also something I will print out and keep with me.

Most of the tips I had heard or was aware of like the standard date and the abbreviations of the lengthier months. I knew the acronym rule and that applies to writing across the board. I also knew the "capitalize only proper nouns" rule as well as the "no conclusion" rule. However, I find it incredibly difficult not to have a conclusion-I'm too "English-lit" for that!

I did not know that "Dr." wasn't used when talking about professors in an article. Personally I think it's mean since they worked long and hard to earn that title, but newspaper writing is unlike any other writing. And now I have to have an MLA brain and an Associated Press Style brain!

Katie Vann said:

I agree with you that not using "Dr." in front of someone's name is kind of insulting them because it does recognize the level of hard work they have put into their profession. Also, it does seem weird writing articles and not having a solid conclusion at the end.

The fact about not using "Dr." in front of a professor's name actually surprised me. This is the first time I've ever come across that rule. I actually blogged about it on my page too. When I was in high school, I was taught to always give the person credit the first time, so it would be like English Professor Dr. Dennis Jerz, and then every mention after that would just be Jerz. But I guess according to Jerz and the AP Styleguide, I've been doing it wrong all this time. It's really frustrating, because news writing really is like a whole separate language from English. You know what I mean?