« Double Gs are trapped in their idea and can't get out. | Main | So now I'm back to holding my breath. »

Appropriation is not appropriate.

Murfin and Ray, Bedford Glossary of Critical and Literary Terms -- Jerz EL312 (Literary Criticism)

appropriation: The tendency of readers to interpret texts according to their cultural presuppositions, regardless of those of the author-and even if the author wrote the work from a different cultural or ideological perspective (Bedford 27).
Good word. Works for me on so many levels. To be a good critic I guess you would need to not do this, or else you wouldn't just be a bad critic, but also a bad reader.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on February 27, 2007 1:01 AM.

The previous post in this blog was Double Gs are trapped in their idea and can't get out..

The next post in this blog is So now I'm back to holding my breath..