« My first blog portfolio happens to be portfolio 1 | Main | Reflections »

Everyman the musical

Anonymous, ''Everyman'' -- Jerz EL312 (Literary Criticism)

So I just got finished seeing the play Everyman and right from the start I'm thinking of Rent(use of songs/friends to see how the characters grow). But then I started to think about Romeo and Juilet and Hamlet and wonder why especially in this play they didn't full adapt the play into the present. You got songs by the Indigo Girls with themes about coke, and needles going in to far (something like that) and singing songs to Jesus when you drank too much. Yet they still used the original text(or close to it). Now I was thinking why? Why try and adapt the play to present time-throw in some Native American culture sing songs with present themes but keep the original texdt? I mentioned two well known movies that did the same thing, but there is a not so well known movie that did the opposite, Men of Respect. This movie takes Macbeth, updates it-words and all, and never misses a beat. Now that is my opinion, but I'll stick with it. I enjoyed the play, I wanted to talk about it get my feelings out there. I didn't klnow where to write on it-I thought here, but then maybe this is for the text, but I have a couple copies and wasn't sure which one Dr. Jerz wanted so I just threw out some of my opinions on the play. Peace.

I will have to agree with you here. I wasn't entirely sure why they didn't update the words when they added the music, however I thought that it worked well. I really do enjoy modern adaptations of plays and I thought that this adaptation worked well with the new music and the original words. Why? Well because by leaving the orginial words I think that it forced the audience to listen to what was being said because we aren't used to hearng that type of language in our day to day lives. It brings more meaning to the play.

I think that my fascination with adaptations began when I was in high school and I saw "10 Things I Hate About You." This movie was a modern day adaptation of "Taming of the Shrew" by William Shakespeare. I don't know if you have ever seen it, but it wasn't until I was here at SHU that a friend pointed out to me the connection. When I read the play and then saw the movie again I wasn't sure how I felt about the adaptation, but it did work. It brought a work that most people wouldn't normally read into a way that would make it accessible to the population as a whole.

Ok. I hope that I didn't bore you, but your entry really struck a cord with me. Have a great day!

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on February 23, 2007 1:05 PM.

The previous post in this blog was My first blog portfolio happens to be portfolio 1.

The next post in this blog is Reflections.