« The softer side of feminism. | Main | Double Gs are trapped in their idea and can't get out. »

Her first two initials are E. T.

Brann, ''Pictures in Poetry: Keats's 'Ode on a Grecian Urn'' -- Jerz EL312 (Literary Criticism)

That a painting should say something and that poetry should depict something is arguably the crux of the Western representational. mimetic mode (Keesey 245).
Ms. Brann is talking about pictures and poetry. How nice Keats wrote a poem about pictures. Now I felt that her deffination of this mimetic criticism is different from the others in so far that is the mimetic view is to find truth, what truth is she talking about if the poem is based on a picture. She even talked about the moral of the urn (Keesey 246). But I thought that there were no morals, only the truth. I liked this essay because is seemed to ask/answer some of the questions I may/or may not have brought up in my earlier blogs about this mimetic criticism. Ms. Brahn seems to want more than a reflection from this poem. I just want to know if the mimetic way is the best way to get them.

Kevin:

I enjoyed the essay, but I don't think (in all of my un-professional self) that Brann quite hit the mimetic nail on its head. I think she started to fall into psychological realism and things like author intent.

I started to lose the essay when she started discussing Keats going into the work itself by examining the empty city behind the depiction.

It was an enjoyable read, but I thought went a little bit of everywhere.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on February 27, 2007 12:35 AM.

The previous post in this blog was The softer side of feminism..

The next post in this blog is Double Gs are trapped in their idea and can't get out..