« Are you 'old school'? | Main | Frye loves intertextuality. »

Codes, codes, codes.

Culler, ''Structuralism and Literature'' -- Jerz EL312 (Literary Criticism)

Structuralism leads us to think of the poem not as a self-contained organism but as a sequence which has meaning only in relation to a literary system, or rather, to the "institution" of literature which guides the reader (Keesey 291).
Now were talking, I think that Culler did a good job breaking down structuralism, for me at least. I like how this all works within each other. I'm guessing this is what Frye was trying to impress with the whole history of literature rather then the history of history. I am sorry Mr. Frye or questioning your brillance, and thank you Mr. Culler for helping me 'get this'. It seems pretty clear now, I'm hoping. This quote seemed to me to hit the point on the head. Its within relation to the history of the works, not the history of the writer. Which keeps it self contained as a whole in the system it is in. Like baseball stats to baseball, you would place the works in terms of other such works, that seems pretty darn logical 'Timmy'.

Er:

That does really sum it up. It's a nice, convenient package. We have to know about other works in order to appreciate the similarities and differences in another work.

I don't know, to me this seemed almost simplistic... I understand how Frye connects some pieces to others, and through what means, but I don't see how this is a revelation worth so much criticism. I like the idea of intertextuality, but as cool as it seems I don't really think it's so grand pointing out similarities and differences in works... Some quote from an essay I read in my Chaucer class last semester stands out--how some things are more or less like other things. Like Jay said (http://blogs.setonhill.edu/JasonPugh/020122.html), I'm not fully convinced here.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on March 12, 2007 8:21 AM.

The previous post in this blog was Are you 'old school'?.

The next post in this blog is Frye loves intertextuality..