« Do you really want to call it a mystery? | Main | So now I can officially breathe again! »

Maxim

Murfin and Ray, Bedford Glossary of Critical and Literary Terms -- Jerz EL312 (Literary Criticism)

So I was flipping through the good ol' Bedford Glossary and came upon the term maxim, which sent me to aphorism: "a concise, pointed, epigrammatic statement that purports to reveal a truth or principle(Murfin 24)." So then we get some examples of a maxim:" the early bird gets the worm(Murfin 24)", and others like that. So I thought about the magazine Maxim and how that works with the definition of the word. And then I thought of the word oxymoron, which in terms of maxim the definition and Maximthe magazine, that term fits.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on March 12, 2007 11:20 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Do you really want to call it a mystery?.

The next post in this blog is So now I can officially breathe again!.