« Who Thought That Many People Still Read the Paper! | Main | Creative-Maybe. Chaucer-NO! »

Queens on the Diamond.

Like Vanessa was saying about the classics not fitting into the article, I too had the same problem. But I think the article by Red Smith, Miracle of Coogan's Bluff, kinda fits mine. I want to write my article with a dramatic flair: it a drag queen competition so there will be winners and losers.
Example:

The story was winding up, and it wasn't the happy ending that such a tale demands. Poetic justice was a phrase without a meaning (279 ABNW).

I thought that this article, which is talking about one of baseballs greatest games is very different from the way I remember being told about the game. This is very much more dramatic then the radio broadcast, and the clips from the tv. I mean this is Casey at Bat stuff. This is why America fell in love with baseball -maybe not now-but this type of writing brought people to the games. I want to try and emulate the drama here with the drama in the competition. I just don't know if it will work.

Yes, it was hard for me too to relate a story about an old violinist to my article on first time college students. But I figured since they are both feature articles,the writer had the same problem I had: how do I make this story interesting? There are ample oppourtunities for me to capture the drama of college life in my article...for god's sake, one of the people I interviewed (she goes to another school) said her roomate has so many mental problems that she has a "pill drawer" full of dozens of bottles of anti-psychotic medicines! Talk about unsusal...

Chelsea Oliver:

I'm sure it would work. You're a good writer and you have an interesting topic for your article, you can always just pull some strings and make a glove (like Smith did for his article) or make a dress in your case.(Sorry that was corny, but I'm sure you understand haha)

Nessa:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was having a tough time trying to make one of the Classics work for my article. And with your article, I can see why it might be a little difficult (since they were written around the 30s and 40s, when drag queens weren't really news material). I think you can definitely do something creative with it though, whether you follow the Classics or not.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on November 25, 2007 12:58 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Who Thought That Many People Still Read the Paper!.

The next post in this blog is Creative-Maybe. Chaucer-NO!.