History of Video Games

History of Video Games

I really enjoyed watching the "You Tube" movies and especially enjoyed the "Tennis for Two." After watching those games and reading "game design is closely interwoven with the development of existing technology" in Professor Jerz's article, I question what would happen today (2008) if a game was put on the market that had full sound effects but was in black and white with very few graphics. Would people buy it? Do people have to have all of the effects to enjoy playing a game? Having owned an Atari (it could still be in the attic at my mothers), this article brought back memories and I understood and comprehended it.

Reflection -

Derek commented on my use of the Atari game console.  He's never used one, but has 
seen pictures of Atari. This got me thinking about Atari. We always played
Atari on a black and white television; however, because of Derek's comment,
I'm wandering if Atari games can play in color on a color television. Because of
Derek's comment, I am going to dig out my Atari gaming console and games and
hook it up to my color television. Now, I wander, will Atari play on my LDC HDTV
TV?

Derek seems to be taking an interest in Atari and, if I ever do get the Atari
gaming console out, perhaps I'll bring it to Seton Hill and we can have a vintage
gaming night!

Would it be possible for you to get that old Atari out again, and maybe look at some of the old games?

Good post, Nancy. There is actually an active community of blind gamers.

http://www.tsbvi.edu/technology/games.htm

If people didn't buy the lo-rez game you describe, but it was a masterful piece of storytelling, or it let some visually impaired kid feel the same rush his sighted friends get from playing games, would it matter that people didn't buy it?

Sales are only one way of measuring the value of a thing, and constraining your creativity so as to make the most sales is just one of many ways that any medium constrains the artist.

Derek Tickle said:

I also really liked the "You Tube" movies. The tennis one actually was my favorite too! It is interesting to think about a video or computer game in black and white and limited graphics. I would also be very interested in seeing if that type of game would be a seller in today's market. I have never actually seen an Atari in person. I have seen pictures of them, but that's about the extent of it. I think it is great that you still have yours and the memories that you had with it.

Derek Tickle said:

Nancy Fry said:

Derek, you made me think of something. We played the Atari on a black and white TV in my room. I don't know if the games could play in color on a color TV. Now, after this class is over, it might be worth a trip into my moms to check that out. Thanks for the comment!

Derek Tickle said:

I am very interested in playing an Atari. I think it would be great if you could find it. After learning the history of video games, it would be great to experience, in person, what video games were like many years ago. *I am not sure if it could be played on a color TV or not, but I am sure we could find some information that would tell us how to play the Atari on a modern day TV. What an experience it would be for the class to play the Atari!

*I may have found a website that explains how to play the Atari games on a computer. It is very interesting! http://www.emulators.com/xformer.htm

*This website sells a cable that can be connected into the TV and will play the Atari system. It looks like it costs $11. The website is: http://www.oldsoftware.com/atari.html

Let me know if this information might help. Thanks!