Koster (Finish)

Koster's Book "A Theory of Fun" was interesting writing.  The animated pages also helped me get through the book.   Being a non-gamer, it was refreshing for Koster to relate to music, art, mathemetics and patterns as well as games.   He also discussed games other than video or computer games; i.e., tic, tac toe.  I agree with Koster when he discusses in Chapter 6 that people gravitate toward games that correspond with their personalities (I prefer a puzzle game such as amaze game and you may prefer an action game such as a shooting game).  My childhood consisted of playing with barbie dolls, playing dodgeball outside; riding bikes; sliding down the hill on a cardboard box; climbing trees; jumping rope and acting out plays with the neighborhood kids.  While I agree with Koster that computer/video games can be fun and we can learn from playing them, once upon a time there were other games that created the same mental stimuli as video/computer games but used much more physical activity.  I wasn't going to say it but I will - I'm sure I"ll get a lot of comments from it, but this leads me to the question "Do computer games cause obesity?" 

Reflection -

Derek's blog responded to my question of "Do computer games cause obesity?"  Because of his blog, I do agree
there are many factors that correspond to obesity and it is more than video games.  Obesity includes
what people eat, what lifestyle they follow; genetics; physical activity; mental state and health.  Because of Derek's response and because I just started statistics, this would be an excellent statistical question to develop.  You could survey a sampling of gamers who spend more than x number of hours playing video games and
put a couple questions in regarding how many hours they exercise each day and how many calories they
consume on a daily basis.  Derek said my comment was debatable and he is absolutely correct!

Derek Tickle said:

I also agree that it was important for Koster to relate to other interests such as music, art, mathematics, and others. I posted a blog entry about personalities and how people have different lives. The blog entry is entitled, Personality, Emotion, and Character in Games? The URL is http://blogs.setonhill.edu/DerekTickle/ When I was younger I also played dodgeball, rode bikes, played video games and other fun activities. The last question that you listed is very interesting. That question is very debateable, but my personal opinion is depending. It depends how long someone plays video games? What they eat? What type of lifestyle they have? And many other questions. Very good blog entry!

Nancy Fry said:

Derek,

Thanks for the comment! You are absolutely right - all of those factors come into play when studying obesity.