« Tribune Review August 30th Edition | Main | The Reporter's Notebook »

Spot News Comparison

Anyone interested in the Griffin’s first-ever home game could feast on a news-story smorgasbord─the Setonian, the Communicator, and my spot news article all approached it from different angles.

Setonian Staff Writer, Valerie Masciarelli’s coverage did not include a play-by-play description but comprehensively outlined the Griffin’s “new era” of optimism. She paralleled the team’s initial morale obstacles and how they overcame them with that of RA Meredith Harber’s turnaround. To do so, Masciarelli solicits an impressive array of quotes. I like the headline she chose and also the “new-era” theme of her article.

The Communicator article, on the other hand, includes a play-by-play description. I especially like the first two sentences of the comprehensive, three-sentence lead. The quote that follows from President JoAnne Boyle effectively portrays her emotion and excitement in seeing this monumental event finally come together.

In my spot news article, I used the angle of how alumni and older, non-traditional students felt about the first home game and how they felt about the football program in general. I included a controversial quote from an alumna─“I wonder if the athletic department will give an equal portion of the budget to women’s athletics”─that I should have countered or balanced by the athletic department. Unwittingly, not doing so created bias in my article. In contrast, Masciarelli paraphrases Head Coach Snyder’s surprise that the team coalesced so quickly and then adds tension with a player quote revealing that the team camaraderie was not instantaneous.

Posted by NancyGregg at September 26, 2005 9:20 PM

I also covered the football game for the spot news exercise. I discussed in my blog all the different angles writers took on the game, in the same way that you did. I decided to look outside the Seton Hill community, and get yet another insight into the first home game.

The day after the game, there was an article in the sports section of the Tribune Review. This article focused on the loss and the technical aspects of the games: who scored points, lost the ball, ran the ball, etc.

On Monday the Tribune Review took yet another angle, and recognized Seton Hill as a new football program. Running back Jeremy Brown was praised for his contribution to Saturday's game, and the article shed light on a positive future for the Griffins.

This is an example of how one paper took different angles on the same story, to make the story appeal to a wider audience.

I will post this comment under my football article with links to the Tribune articles.

Posted by: Jenna O'Brocto at September 26, 2005 9:59 PM

Thanks, Jenna. I'll check out your blog entry.

Posted by: NancyGregg at September 27, 2005 10:56 AM