near death

In Robert Frost "After Apple Picking" the events in the poem I believe can be interuptated in different ways based on how you read it.

Lines 1 to 7:

My long two-pointed ladder's sticking through a tree

Toward heaven still

And there's a barrel that I didn't fill

Beside it, and there may be two or three

Apples I didn't pick upon some bough.

But I am done with apple-picking now.

Essence of winter sleep is on the night,

In the first line of the poem, the ladder represents his life, while the tree itself represents life as a whole.  The apples on the tree may symbolize opportunities passed up on in his life.  The ladder being described as long could be showing his long life he has lived.  The barrels that stand empty on the ground may represent the lack of opportunities and experiences he feels have happened in his life.  The apples that remain on the branches are these unaccomplished opportunities and experiences.  The person says he has grown weary of picking apples, meaning that he is done looking for opportunities in his life because of "the essence of winter sleep," representing his impending death.

Juli Banda said:

I agree that the poem can be interpreted in many ways and think that there is not one right way to interpret anything. There will always be someone that disagrees with you. I am not that person though. I agree that the apples are his opportunities or goals that he wanted to accomplish. However, I don't think he is ever done looking for opportunities in life, I think his time ends before he was able to accomplish everything he wanted to in life.

Nikita McClellan said:

I like your interesting stand point on this poem. I had honestly saw it as maybe the guy had gone into a dream or something. I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. Sleep in the sense of a metaphor for death could possibly be what the poem is suggesting.
Good interpretation.