The Great Gatsby

One quote that really confused me and made me think into it and reread it again was when the narrator Nick was attending his first party at Gatsby's house. He was talking to Jordan Baker.

"Anyhow, he gives large parties," said Jordan, changing the subject with an urban distate for the concrete. "And I like large parties. They're so intimate. At small parties there isnt any privacy."

If you read this quote again, it doesn't really make sense. You would think that at a large party there is not any privacy. Jordan also states that large parties are intimate, but to most people small parties are intimate. So this tells you what kind of women Jordan really is. She is used to having a many people around and she feels uncomfortable when there are very little people. She is a very social women and her being intimate with people may be difficult. Her way of thinking on this subject shows her personality.

Another quote that I found particularly interesting was when Nick bet Gatsby for the first time.

"I'm Gatsby," he said suddenly. "What!" I exclaimed. "Oh, I beg your pardon."  

"I thought you knew, old sport. I'm afraid I'm not a very good host."

If the narrator didn't know who Gatsby was, how many of the other guest there knew what he looked like. It mysterious that everyone knows his name and have some kind of story to tell about him,but some people don't even know what he looks like.  

April Minerd said:

I liked how you were able draw that element of character from her statement. Like you when I first read it I paused to rethink what she may have meant. Except I simply took from it a large party provides the opportunity for two people to easily slip away unnoticed allowing them a private conversation. Whereas in a smaller gathering that might not be possible. In that way I could see how it might be more intimate. But I like your take on it. I think it sheds some light into who Jordan Baker is, and relates to chapter three where he refers to her as "incurably dishonest." And because of that "she felt safer on a plane where any divergence from a code would be thought impossible."

Rosalind Blair said:

I agree with your assessment of Jordan. I feel that was the story progresses, readers may see that this causes problems in her life. In a small group setting, she would be forced to interact on a more personal level with the people surrounding her. At a larger party, she would only be forced to make small talk, which may make her more comfortable. I also found it interesting that no one seems to know who Gatsby is, yet he knew who Nick was. Was this just because they live next to each other? Or has Gatsby in some way come to know all the “strangers” who attend his party?

Rosalind Blair said:

Marie vanMaanen said:

I also had to reread and rethink the line about large parties being intimate. I thought back to some of my own experiences though, and I can see her point. At large parties, you can meet a few people and feel free to just concentrate on those few people throughout the night because there are way too many people there to bother meeting everyone. However, at smaller parties, you feel more pressured to interact with everyone. So I think being at the larger party is like you're hanging out with 4 or 5 people, but at a small party, you may feel more obligated to mingle with 10-15 people. Also, at a large party, unless someone is interested in you, most of the people will most likely pay little attention to you and what you do, but if there are only 10 or 15 people at a party, everyone is more likely to pay closer attention to the people around them. I like your assessment of Jordan's character, however. When there are only a few people around she seems more distant and quiet when it comes to interacting with the people around her. When she is at the party though, her personality seems lighter, and she seems much more sociable.